Friday, June 14, 2013

Boy Scouts Bite The Dust

THE SCOUT LAW (that is BOY SCOUT)

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

I posit this question: How can a gay Boy Scout be a Boy Scout, especially since he/she will take an oath to be morally straight? As a lifelong Boy Scout, I would also like to know why gays simply don't start their own scouting program? Oh, I thought that the gay rights agenda did not include attempts to coerce children to become gay. I contend that boys in the Scouting program should not be subjected to sexual pressures - they are not yet ready. Forcing them to confront sexual issues within the program is a form of coercion. Deviated life style instruction has no place in the Scouting program.

Let's not forget, too, that the Scouting program starts with Tiger Cubs, progresses to Cub Scouts, transitions to Webelos, then graduates to Boy Scouts. We're talking about kids ranging from kindergarten to high school! You can't tell me that a six-year-old boy understands, or cares, what sexual orientation he is.

As a former Scout leader, I never even considered discussing sexual issues, mainly because it was not part of what is being taught, nor was is it my business. We focused on things like teamwork, camping, scientific study, animal husbandry, among hundreds of other subjects having nothing to do with human sex. Eleven to eighteen years of age is already the most tumultuous period of a boy's life without having tossing in sexual pressures, especially within an institution designed to focus on every other aspect of life. It is the parent's job to insure that his or her child is properly instructed at the appropriate time in the child's life about the Birds and the Bees - not a Boy Scout leader's!

Gays have always been a part of the Scouting program anyway, and every other program - simply "in the closet." I have never witnessed an incident in a Scout troop surrounding sexual orientation in forty years of Scouting, although I have heard of rare issues occurring elsewhere. It is a big world, after all. Now, I fully expect issues surrounding sexual orientation to increase simply because everyone is now focused on the subject. It will become big news from this point on.

For many years now, Scout leaders have been asked to attend a social sensitivity training program surrounding the subject of Diversity. It's called the Woodbadge Program. It is highly likely that such a program will have to be designed for the boys too. We wouldn't want to offend anyone by acting like boys in a Boy Scout program. Next thing you know, the gay rights folks are going to demand that the Scout Oath and Law be changed to omit "duty to God" and "morally straight." This will happen in the name of Diversity, just another code word for socially engineering every good, moral thing to Mediocrity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.